Newsletter – May 2015

Welcome to the 5th Edition of your newsletter.

We’ve had some request to change around the order etc and also some new ideas – which we hope you’ll enjoy! – Please let us know if you have anything to contribute or idea for future editions!


Marathon Meal

The Marathon Meal took place on Wednesday 29th April at the Emperor Chinese Restuarant in Burgess Hill. Despite the name of the event – it was open to all members and what a turnout over 70 people attending a brilliant night – which in some cases turned into a ‘marathon’ of a different kind!

11025678_10152919607482983_3869412905001796810_o 10497200_10152919589337983_4018216400738071155_o

The evening recognised those members who had run the first marathon – including ultras as well as highlighting PB’s


Coaches Corner

Advice issued by English Athletics

As training ramps up, it’s important to make sure you don’t put yourself at risk of injuries. For example, for road runners of all levels, overuse injuries are one of the most common things to bring you to a halt. They can affect different parts of your body but it’s probably those that affect your legs that cause most trouble: runner’s knee, Achilles tendonitis and the somewhat generic ‘shin splints’ to name a few.

What causes overuse injuries?

Overuse injuries such as these can develop if you suddenly increase your training rather than gradually building it up. Yes, your body has the ability to adapt – that’s why you get fitter and stronger the more you do appropriate exercise. But if you try to do too much too soon, running further or faster (or both) before you’re ready, your body can’t adapt quickly enough. It’s important to take time to recover between sessions so your tissues can repair, making your body strong enough for the next push.

Preventing overuse injuries

EA have put together a list of some specific things you can do to lower your risk of an overuse injury.

Experienced runners will probably already be familiar with them, but a reminder never hurts. And if you’re new to running or coaching beginners, it’s really important to learn or teach good practice from the outset.

  • Warm up before you begin your session, and cool down afterwards. And remember to stretch the muscles you’ve used afterwards when they’re warm.
  • Make sure you’re wearing the right shoes for you. Lots of shops offer gait analysis services to help you find the best size, fit and style of running shoe. Orthotics (insoles) can help some people reduce their risk of injury.
  • Include some strength exercises in your training programme to build up your muscles. This is helpful no matter how strong – or weak – your muscles currently are.
  • Step up your training gradually. Even if you’re used to training for events before, it’s worth bearing in mind the ’10 percent’ rule. This means not increasing how far or how fast you run from one week to the next by more than 10 percent, and perhaps testing a new distance or weekly mileage for a month before further increases. Following a training plan may help you steadily build up how much you’re doing.
  • Resist the temptation to overtrain – this may be more likely as you get fitter or if you’re experienced and feel you can push yourself. More is not necessarily better. Not taking enough time to recover is the downfall of many an athlete. If you feel tired, take notice and rest – your body will thank you for it.

 Treating overuse injuries

If you, or someone you’re coaching, do develop an overuse injury, it’s important to take steps to treat it sooner rather than later.

Don’t do anything that causes pain, and that probably means stopping normal training for a while. Try not to worry about losing fitness – if you carry on, you may do more harm. You may not need to stop exercising completely – in fact it’s often recommended that you don’t. Incorporate activities that don’t use or put weight on the injured area, such as swimming. As always, make sure that you warm up properly first.

If the injury is more severe, follow the PRICE procedure: protection, rest, ice, compression and elevation, in the event that it is painful paracetamol is a useful and widely available analgesic. Seeing a sports physical therapist or sports medicine doctor can be extremely valuable for both prevention and treatment of overuse injuries. This is particularly important for serious athletes. A professional can give you guidance on improving your running technique, and advice about training and specific exercises.”


Featured Member

Mush Miah


When did you start running?

January 2015 at Clair parkrun.

What is the best piece of advise you have ever received?

When I started running I used to start sprinting and then get tired and slow down so I was told to slow down and pace myself.

What is the best piece of advise you would give?

At the moment I need advise not give, may be once I am a proper runner then I can advise.

When was the first moment that you felt like a runner?

Well I was always interested in football and played reasonable also did x country in school days and was the first one to finish back in 1991, after I did the Burgess Hill 10k I thought I am a runner and I can go further.

What was your first ever race?

Burgess Hill 10k

What is your biggest running achievement?

Ran the Brighton Brooks 10k at 51.00 minutes last year, very pleased with that.

What is the toughest race you have ever done?

I ran the Lindfield 10k and that was over mud and streams, crossing gates, hilly, queuing up to cross over brooks and swerve across cows and thought that was tough.

Where is the best pace you have ever run? Lewis 10k

What is your favourite WSFRL race? So far Brighton brooks 10k

What is your favourite piece of kit? Trainers foot wear

What is your favourite post race treat?

Well as I haven’t run very far so I only have a packet of crisps and water

What is your favourite training session? 7.00 pm Every Wednesday with BHR!

Rain or shine? Both no problem

Hill or flat? Flat please

Road or Trail? Both

Alone or in a group? Group

Garmin Connect or Strava? Non

Race Number – Scrunch or Flat? Flat

With or without music? Without music

X-Factor or Strictly? Strictly

Marmite – Love or Hate? Hate

Who do you most admire and why – doesn’t have to be athletic related.

Well, I admired John Barnes from Liverpool back in the days and thought he would be the next Pele and take England to the next level but unfortunately that didn’t happen but still loved his skills.

Tell us something you may not know about you………well, I have now started training with a proper club BHR and started thinking how to progress on running which I never thought I would do and hoping for the best.

What is your favourite picture of yourself and why?

This is the first run I did at park run and we had to run through a big puddle and this picture still makes me giggle.

image1 (1)

How would your friends describe you? A businessman and a good footballer.

What would you sing at Karaoke night? Not a good singer so I wouldn’t dare to take the mic on my hand.

How did you get involved in running? – Well, I know couple of friends Jay and Caz they come to my restaurant (flavour) to dine every week and somehow they persuaded me to go to parkrun in Haywards Heath and here I am again moving forward and joined BHR.

What is your ambition? – My ambition is to keep running and keep fit and to do a half marathon next, No, not a full Marathon!!!



SDW50 – Reviewed by Darren Chilcott

SDW50 Devil's Dyke

The SDW50 is one of a series of 50 & 100 mile trail events organised by Centurion Running. Starting at Hill Barn Rec in Worthing, the route initially follows the same gnarly track towards Chanctonbury Ring as the more recent Three Forts Challenge, and then from Chanctonbury takes the route of the South Downs Way almost all the way to Eastbourne totalling just under 50 miles. After writing off all of 2014 through injury, this was a key event for me on the road to the SDW100 in June and would help determine (one way or the other) whether attempting double the distance would be feasible.

Weather on the day was looking good as myself and Andrew Baillie were kindly picked up by Jon Lavis, with Jan already on board, around 7am for the short trip to race HQ at Worthing College for the 9am start. After the mandatory kit check on arrival (quite rightly, Centurion take these things extremely seriously knowing how the weather on the Downs can change in an instant, and how dangerous this can be when you are cold and tired after several hours out there) and picking up our numbers, we were joined by Philippe to complete the BHR contingent for the race. After saying hello to several ‘old faces’, we made our way over to the Rec and RD James Elson of Centurion set us off. My plan from the start was to keep things comfortable (think Zone 1-2 on a scale of 1-5) and the first few miles clicked by pretty comfortably as I jogged and chatted to Jan and others. As we crested Chanctonbury Ring I was joined by an old pal from my fishing days and we flew through the next 4-5 (downhill) miles at sub 9s (yes, too fast) happily chatting away, down past the pig farm and to the first of the aid stations at Botolphs (around 11 miles) where the friendly face of Steve Roberts was waiting to make sure we didn’t get flattened crossing the road. The spectre of Truleigh Hill then presented itself so it was pretty much a walk all the way to the Youth Hostel and then the usual walk the hills/run the flats and Downs approach that most of us take on these longer events.

Jon was waving his little Nikon about at Devils Dyke and told me Andrew had dropped – was absolutely gutted for him as we’d trained together since New Year and his calf had pinged on our last recce the week before the event so starting was always a risk. After a bottle refill and some food at the next station at Saddlescombe Farm I was feeling very much on ‘home ground’ which helped and the familiar landmarks just floated by – Pyecombe, Jack and Jill (where I very rudely almost missed Paula Ridley), Ditchling Beacon (Jon and Andrew Bishop shouting welcome support) where the weather had now turned a bit nasty, with a cold wind and rain – not ideal on the highest part of the course. One thing I have realised on longer distance running is you need to take care of things straight away so I stopped and relayered, putting a base layer and jacket on as it got decidedly colder. Turning right at Black Cap was great, as I knew the next couple of miles were all gentle downhill, before the climb through the woods and the steep drop to the A27 and a major aid station at Housedean Farm, approx 27 miles into the race – I was going well at this stage, getting here in under 5 hours. I took this opportunity to sort out a small blister, have some food and flat coke and take good wishes from some pals before starting the very long climb up Castle Hill, before dropping down the Yellow Brick Road to the next Aid station at Southease (33m). The weather had cleared now and was much more pleasant, which is more than I can say about the climb up Itford Hill out of Southease – this hill, and the rest of the section to Bo Peep is difficult but I was feeling pretty strong and just ground out the miles. It was great to see Paula pop up at Bo Peep (38 miles), but sad to hear from her that Jan had decided to stop – for those of you who so kindly support these events never underestimate the lift seeing a friendly face can give – before dropping down into Alfriston and probably the best cup of tea I had ever had at the Village Hall aid station.

It was only at this point (around 42 miles) that I started to think about the time – with a cut-off of 13 hours I was never in danger of not finishing, but I was losing hardly any time at all in the second half and started to think I had an outside chance of dipping under 10 hours if I could keep moving. My training has involved a lot of hill hiking – fast uphill walking being one of the big keys to improving ultra times and I powered up the long hill out of Alfiston, now starting to keep half an eye on my watch. The next section to Jevington was just glorious and I was on a massive ‘runners high’ at this point – I was completely alone, the bright sun was getting lower, the wind had dropped and I was STILL RUNNING 45 miles into the event. I knew a decent finish was now in the bag, so when I got to Jevington with about 4.5 miles to go I simply checked in my number and carried on. Up the last big hill to the Trig Point (the one Andrew and I missed completely in the fog the previous week) and a left turn down a long narrow rutted gully before a short muddy footpath took me onto the edge of Eastbourne. Two miles to go, 9hrs 30 on the clock…..sub 10 definitely on here……just keep run/walking……past the hospital and on to the cycle track which seemed to go on forever, before seeing the finish gantry in the distance at the Eastbourne Sports Ground. Andrew had kindly returned to see me finish and greeted me as I entered the car park before the ‘lap of honour’ Centurion requires around the track before finishing.

Coach James Elson (Centurion owner and Race Director) was at the finish to greet all the runners, I got a medal and a hug from ultra legend Mimi Anderson and a hot dog and a cup of tea from BHR legend Steve Roberts who was now at the finish area for a second volunteer stint. What a star. My official finish time was 9hr 51mins 18 seconds, absolutely over the moon with that, and more importantly finished feeling pretty strong with no niggles and a big confidence boost for the SDW100. I was really delighted to hear later that Philippe also finished strongly well inside the cut-off time.

Have learned some huge lessons in the last 6 months including :

-the difference a tailored/individual programme can make to your running really is night and day, in terms of performance, consistency and injury avoidance

-you have to learn to trust that programme – some of it will be counter-intuitive at first

-tapering properly is absolutely critical for events like this

-running long still requires a lot of speed sessions in your training

-the importance of practicing everything in training cannot be underestimated (food, electrolyte balance, hydration, kit)

Thanks to everyone involved in supporting. Finally, I wouldn’t discourage anyone from attempting longer distances – if you can do a marathon you can go further, but don’t treat it lightly. The longer you are out there, the more there is that can go wrong so practice and planning for all aspects is critical.

Happy Running !

SDW Tee and Medal


Paris Marathon 12th April 2015 – Reviewed by Theresa Chalk


Paris. Wow! an amazing city to run in.

Entry. It is easy to get a place in the Paris Marathon. Just sign up . There are 3
price brackets. Initially it was around 85 euros rising quickly to 99 euros and
then to over 100 euros. This year it was first come first served. NOTE
requirement to run the Paris Marathon is a medical certificate.No correctly
signed and stamped certificate. No run.

Friday 10th April arrived, we boarded the Eurostar and headed across the channel to France .We arrived in Gard de Nord and found our hotel. An interesting choice of area but the hotel was clean and comfortable. We stayed in the La Chappelle area which was great as the nearby metro took us directly to where we wanted to go on race day.

Saturday. Expo day. – The Salon du Running is held at Parc des Expositions de la Porte de Versailles .

We arrived to a long queue to get in but it moved quickly. First to hand in our medical certificates and then to pick up our number and goody bags. It was a good expo ,it compares well with London offering many different items on sale which are not found in the UK. Finally we enjoyed the Pasta party ( only 8euros a meal) before leaving.

Sunday. Race Day. Forecast temps of 20 sunny and cloudy .

We boarded the metro and headed for Porte Dauphine which bought us out at the finish line. A short walk along the Avenue du Foch took us to the bag drop and toilet queues Plenty of them). It was a well organised area which was busy but considering it is a marathon of 50k people it wasn’t too bad.

Once bags were safely stowed away we walked along to the Arch de Triomphe and the Champs Elysees where the marathon starts. The marathon officially starts at 9 with the elite and fast runners. Paris has staggered starts. We were in the rose which meant we didn’t start until 10.05 .It was suggested we were in our pen by 9.35.

Around 9.50 the noise of the crowd started to get excitable and we suddenly realised our wave was just about to leave Frantically we set our garmins only just getting a satellite seconds before crossing the line.

We were off, running downhill towards the Place de la Concorde . We had 6 hours to complete the 42.1km/ 26.2miles. Next we were running along the Rue de Rivoli past Angelinas, best eatery ever) toward The Louvre with firemen (best view in Paris) standing on ladders stretched out over the road and onto the Bastille around 5km.

I was in BHR top but Helen in her finery of all things British inc rock tape, got the attention of many spectators. Crowds were nowhere near as big as London, but there were a lots of bands and dancers keeping runners and spectators entertained.

The water stations were every 5km. There was water, orange segments, bananas, sugar lumps, raisins, apricots and other dried fruits piled high on each table. The water stations were very much a “bun fight” with lots of pushing and shoving people out of the way.The ground got very slippery due to the water, banana and orange skins.

As well as the fuelling stations there were cooling points .There were large hoses sprayed across the road (by the fireman) so well worth getting close up, and bowls full of water to dip our sponges in which had been in our goody bags .These were very welcome as the day was hot .

The route continued past the Paris zoo, through the Bois de Vincennes back to the Bastille and then along the river Seine around 23km. Notre Dame peeped over the buildings and finally the Eiffel Tower came into view at 29km … of course a selfie had to be taken.

Along this part there were several underpasses, one of which was about half a mile long and had an animated DJ and lazer lights. These were a welcome relief from the heat of the day.

Eventually we approach the finally few kms/miles and go through the Bois de Boulogne. At 23 miles a welcome sight another French marathon was advertising and handing out cups of wine. Well we were in France!!

39km, 40km passed. We were nearly there. Finally the crowds were getting bigger and the encouraging shouts to finish …” You are nearly there”

The 42km mark was such a welcome sight and the finish. A final sprint to the end and yes we had done it .All we had to do now was to get the all important bling and the t shirt.!

We had 6 hours to complete this … we did it no problem..


An amazing, well organised marathon in a beautiful city. The support was patchy but fantastic where itwas.Amazingly the Parisians continue life as normal during the marathon, crossing the road at any point so you have to dodge people, bikes, dogs etc .

Just under 42k people took part in the marathon and at the end there was not massive congestion getting bags or getting out of the race village toward the metro. There were no steps to walk up or down either (we saved that for our trek to the top of the Eiffel Tower the following day).



Brighton MarathonReviewed By Emma Leeson


This was my first ever marathon! I entered at the expo last year having just done my first half marathon at Brighton a couple of months previous. Doing a marathon has been the top thing to achieve on my bucket list, and to do it in 2015 when I turn 25!

Training has generally gone well for this event, in hindsight I have learnt an awful lot about my training during this time, basing it around a lot of long runs as my goal for my first marathon was psychologically for me to be able to run the distance. I started training for it in October last year and achieved a few PB’s in December. The Wednesday & Sunday BHR sessions have been a huge help to me as well as continuing my weekly circuit training classes at The Triangle Leisure Centre. Since then training has been progressive; I had to have a few weeks off due to illness & niggles in February and got up to 19 miles before a three week taper.

Tapering was really difficult! Being my first time as a ‘marathoner’ everything was new to me and I found this period the hardest out of the whole process; feeling exhausted, sleeping a lot and forcing myself to eat and ‘fuel’ for the big day. Thankfully I went to club on the Wednesday before the big day which really cheered me up; I felt really energised and being with the awesome BHR’s made me even more excited for Sunday.

The day before the marathon I was an emotional wreck! Nerves, excitement, suspense, adrenaline, tears – it all happened! Doing this was a HUGE thing to me which had been my focus for so long, I couldn’t wait to get to the start line. Did some strides & drills in the morning, had my pre-event massage earlier in the week, picked up my number & walked around the Expo for a bit, had a nice hot bath with essential oils and the obligatory pasta for dinner.

Sunday 12th April was finally here! The weather was perfect; Sunny with a slight breeze. We Squeezed our way out of Preston Park station, queued 25mins for the loo’s, quick warm up then BANG! We were off! The crowds and atmosphere was amazing! Being my first time my focus was just to pace it out, hold back and complete the distance! I saw loads of BHR’s on the way round (on the course and spectating – thank you for your support!) I loved the route; around town for 4-5 miles (I had to walk for a couple of minutes here due to a stitch?! – but ran the rest comfortably), onto the seafront out to Ovingdean, back along to Grand Avenue then the dreaded New Church Road. This was actually the worst part of the race for me, the crowds were great but it went on for so long!

I slogged through and made it to the power station where I had some friends waiting for me. My other half met me at mile 24, held my hand and ran with me for a bit which was lovely. I never really hit the wall at any point but started to get emotional as I picked up the pace, heard so many people shouting my name in the distance but I was just fixated at that finish line. Managed a sprint finale and I’d done it! Fell to my knees, looked at my watch. 4Hr 47mins 41 secs. Not quite what I was hoping for but I was still over the moon I had just done a marathon!

I was apprehensive about there being water ‘cup’ stations this year but they were actually very good and I felt well hydrated throughout the race (I got rid of my water belt after mile 3 – I personally don’t recommend taking one for this race – and I am normally the person who clings onto my hydration backpack!). They give out High5 Gels at about 3 or 4 points in the race too which is good and there is always good ‘bling’ and a free finishers t shirt at the end too. I would recommend this race to anybody, I absolutely loved it and would do it all again tomorrow! Most definitely will be a yearly ritual now. It will have to be if I want to achieve my goal of sub 4hrs by my 30th Birthday! 🙂




Bungay Black Dog Festival – Reviewed by Helen Carr


This is a great day of running on the Suffolk / Norfolk border, organised by the Bungay Black Dog Running club, encompassing a loop from Bungay outskirts/Ditchlingham through to Beccles and back round to Bungay Maltings Pavillion facility and the start/finish. It’s one lap for the half marathon, 2 laps for the full marathon and a cut across the main loop for the 10k.

If you’re looking for something other than Brighton/London marathon at this time of year, this is a great alternative. Or just for a smaller event that you’re willing to travel a couple of hours for. If you stay the night before, there are loads of pubs, inns, B&Bs in the area.

It’s a really pretty route, along some closed roads, some very well marshalled open roads, through the little town of Beccles, more roads and farmland and finally a mile or so along a track through the woods. The route does take in some challenging hills on the way from Ditchlingham to Beccles – there are 3 long “ups” – Suffolk is not flat! But the return leg from Beccles, through Ellingham and back to Bungay is easier on the legs and very scenic.

The event has all the things you could wish for – well organised number pick up, chip timing (collect & return), secure baggage storage, refreshments for spectators, plenty of loos, a great tech t-shirt for just £8 extra on the already low entry fee. The marshalling was great and there was loads of local support with jelly babies being given out and people driving from point to point to keep the support continuous. And the medals are great too, a different colourways for each event, really chunky with the name of the event and the year, with the local black dog logo prominent. Oh and the goody bag was excellent too – a bottle of water, banana, 9bar, crisps (for salt replacement of course) and a can of Adnams beer (Adnams being the local brewer).

Below is a link to the legend of the Black Dog and a screen shot of the elevation and route.



The Angmering Bluebell 10 mile race – Reviewed by Gill Berglund


On Sunday 26th April Kjell and I headed off to Angmering for the much looked-forward to Bluebell Run. In previous years we had done the 10k race but this year decided to go for the 10 miler. We planned to run together – lovely!

“We’ll run it together,” we said.

“Yes, we’ve trained together so we’ll run it together”, we said.

There’s something about this race that is so engaging. Everything works well – from the parking to the marshalling. There’s The Fox pub garden where it was great to see some familiar faces from BHR – Di, Keith, Nick, Neil, Dan and Janet, (Andy J supporting).

The 10k race starts 15 minutes before the 10 mile one – both starting on the road outside the pub.

The route is stunning! After starting on the road you run down into the beautiful Angmering Park Estate and then on into the forest where bluebells lay like a carpet in places. At the top of Monarchs Way you turn right and head towards the top of the ridge called The View – for obvious reasons. What a sight – rapeseed fields for miles! Then there’s a very welcome downhill part which takes you to South Downs National Park. Following that there’s a tough climb through fields but still the views do not disappoint. The rest is a variety of grass, trail and tarmac. Finally, the cruel last climb to the finish – 200 metres of hill! The spectators standing there clapping and shouting encouraging words really helped though.

This is really a brilliant race not to be missed next year – put it in your diaries – we certainly will be!

So, did we run together??

I’d love to say that we did but to be truthful after about two and a half miles there was a dilemma. Kjell had got just a little bit behind me so I kept looking round and one time I ran back for him. He looked into my eyes and said “OK, my love, I’m fine, run on ahead and I’ll see you at the end – good luck”

Errr, no of course he didn’t say that – what he said was “Bugger off – might see you at the end” You can take the man out of Ludvika!!

20150426_104620_Richtone(HDR) 20150426_105139_Richtone(HDR) 20150426_114128_Richtone(HDR)


The Mid Sussex Marathon WeekendReview by Mark Craigs


The Mid Sussex Marathon is a 3 day event that combines three races – two 10 mile races in East Grinstead and Haywards Heath and a 10 kilometre race in Burgess Hill. The three races combined will cover a total of 26.2 miles – the classic marathon distance.

Day 1 – East Grinstead

Saturday started well with the trip to East Grinstead for the first 10 mile race. On arrival I had a gentle warm up with my daughter Lily before joining her in the Mini Mile event. This was a quiet turn out compared with previous years but that didn’t stop the excitement building as we set off on a lap of the rugby club field. Feeling confident of a good run I joined a number of other BHR’s on the start for the main event and set off. I had my usual set off too fast but after a mile got into my stride and settled into the run enjoying the fantastic surroundings of Weir Wood Reservoir. Virtually all of the route is off-road and traffic free. As much as you enjoy the very steep downhill section at the beginning, it is a whole lot different when you have to climb the same section towards the last mile. Its a very steep climb that most runner struggle to run all the way up and I was no different. My only gripe of this event was being sent the wrong way by a marshall and turning round after realising there was no one around me. The long trek back up the steep road I had just ran down may have added a little extra to my time but didn’t take anything away from the race overall.

Day 2 – Haywards Heath

Sunday arrived far too quickly and unfortunately so did the rain. It had rained all night and most of the morning, so by the time we arrived at Haywards Heath we were already soaked. That didn’t damped Lily’s enthusiasm as we again set up of on Mini Mile event. Lily’s confidence was clearly growing as she started to overtake people and even waved for the cameras as she sped around the course. The rain had eased before the main race started and off we set on another 10 miles. The race starts on the High Street, before runners do a lap of the park and then do two loops around the town using roads, paths, trails and footpaths. Much of the route is off-road and mainly traffic free.

I was beginning to feel very ‘leggy’ quite early on in this race but caught up with Jan Lavis (who had slowed down with an injury, not that I had actually caught up with her). She gave a quick pep talk and paced me for a mile or so before sending me on my way. The route has few climbs and is heavy going but the sight of the park at half way gives you the boost keep going for one more lap.

Upon approaching Victoria Park for the second time, you start to hear the supporters and nice littledownhill stretch gives you the lift to push for fast finish. Seeing Lily jumping and waving at the end was all I needed for short sprint up the bank to finish with a smile.

strong in those climbs and had the confidence to go quickly on the downhill sections so much so, that on the second lap I was able to really close up and pass a number of runners. It was a great feeling running back into the school field knowing I had completed 26.2 miles over the three days. The medal at the end was special one that all three individual race medals fitted into.

Day 3 – Burgess Hill

Monday came and so did the sunshine. The weather could not have been more different. It was a glorious sunny day and we were in my home patch. The turn out at Burgess Hill was huge and the addition of a number of Burgess Hill Junior Academy Runners meant there was a massive crowd for the Mini Mile race. Even on her 3rd race in as many days, Lily flew around the course and was overjoyed with her third medal, She even wore them all to school the next day to show her teacher. There were a lot of additional BHR’s at this race and even more supporting and marshalling around the course. This helped keep me going and focused on achieving a good time. The race starts at Oakmeeds School and exits onto the roads before moving into the local meadows where we do two laps of the fields including the dreaded climb up to the water tower. If there is one thing I did take away from this race, was that I felt strong in those climbs and had the confidence to go quickly on the downhill sections so much so, that on the second lap I was able to really close up and pass a number of runners. It was a great feeling running back into the school field knowing I had completed 26.2 miles over the three days. The medal at the end was special one that all three individual race medals fitted into.

Overall I would say that this was a well organised event (despite the marshalling mishap on day 1). The chip timing meant the result were published really quickly and different locations meant you got to see a lot more of Sussex. I will probably run this event again and would recommend it to others.



parkun corner by Neil Dawson

When we arrive at Clair Park on Saturday mornings, it’s easy to forget that you’re part of something that is absolutely huge.  Our 120-150 runners form part of a worldwide phenomenon.   April proved this with 2 incredible stats.  On the 18th April 107,452 people completed their 5km Saturday run.  A truly amazing figure.  And that’s not the end of the story.  On the 25th April, parkrun saw its 9 millionth finisher ever.  It’ll never catch on you know.

On the first Saturday of the month 25 BHR’s took the Saturday morning 5k plunge.  Carole Mills and Jean Lyle both set new personal bests at Tilgate.  In Clair Park, Tracy Brownings and Catherine Kempton complete the same feat, while Paula Ridley went sub 28 for the first time in Preston Park.

On the 11th April of the month BHR had runners at Tilgate, Preston Park and Clair Park.  21 in total.  At Tilgate, Amy Mills went sub 27 for the first time ever in her 68th parkrun.  In Clair Park, James Collins and Douglas Cooper both set new bests, with James leading the field home, followed by first timer Gary Woolven (taking it steady the day before the Brighton Marathon).

On the 18th, Nigel Cruttenden headed off to Lloyd parkrun in Croydon and Hugh Stevenage made his way to Chichester.  Nearer home, Amy Mills, not content with going sub 27 for the first time the previous week, completed the same course in 24.48.  Totally amazing.

On the final weekend of the month we set a new course attendance record in Clair Park of 153, boosted by an amazing 23 BHR’s.  11 BHR’s headed to Tilgate Park, where many of the Learn to Run group tackled their first ever 5k.  This is a fantastic achievement after such a short period of time.

I never tire of thanking the volunteers. We have been blessed with so many willing helpers in Clair Park.  Without them, the event doesn’t happen.  The only reason why over 100,000 people completed a parkrun on the 18th was due to the fact that over 13,000 volunteers made it happen.

11178294_365417356990651_592335111628939696_n 11017475_365414453657608_5509443834953944515_n

My final thought for this month is about one of the integral volunteers at Clair Park.  On the last week of the month, I had the pleasure of completing my 50th parkrun with Jay.  Right from week 1 (well week 2, to be fair) he has been an incredible advocate of parkrun and his enthusiasm for parkrun is only match by his enthusiasm for the WSFRL.  Thank you for all that you and the Wadey family have done for us in Clair Park.


Take care all, Neil.


Spot the Difference



Magic provided by Andrew Baillie!

Can you spot the 6 differences between the below pictures? – Answers below the pictures


Other pictures this month

10984835_10152728301056184_3022060373672602572_n 11076737_10152919597767983_6267117940370156793_o 11078239_10152984706308763_8465550085579959012_n


Want to Contribute?

Please remember this is your newsletter, so if you want to do a race report, or let your fellow members know

about something just email either:-

Alan Fry

Neil Dawson


Spot the Difference – Answers

  1. Nick Dawson’s shoes a different colour.
  2. Sign has changed.
  3. Alan now Ian on club vest
  4. Dave Woodhouse gone and two Neil Dawson’s.
  5. 3 Runners have same number (248).
  6. Light above the door gone.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s